Wednesday, March 16, 2016

Pick Yourself Up, Dust Yourself Off...

    In the wake of another election cycle, and after the winners run out of breath from bragging about their victories and the non-winners reflect on what they might have done differently for a better personal result, there is one bright spot for everyone; at least for a few months we won't be bombarded by all of those sickening and vile political ads! In them we are all played for fools expected to believe that candidates really are who they say they are and that their opponents cannot now and never should be trusted.

   The truth is, everyone that runs for public office is the same in more ways than anyone would have time to count. When incumbents win it means they still have a job whether they are worthy of it or not and when challengers unseat someone and take their place it means they can finally stop looking for work and settle in somewhere behind a desk knowing the rest of us will be paying them a salary for at least a few years. Holding public office is good work if you can get it and every candidate, regardless of the office they seek knows it or they wouldn't bother to try. 

     (Just ask any that have made politics their life's work.)

    Congratulations to all of the winners, and to all who fell short of their latest ambition, remember, we do this in relatively short cycles and another election is always right around the corner. For them I suggest taking a deep breath, lick the wounds and regroup with smarter people and a better plan next time. 

    (Just ask any that have made politics their life's work and keep running for other offices even when they have already lost a few contests but keep coming back for more.)

    It is easier to be angry at the winners when they weren't the people we had hoped would come out on top than it would be to simply congratulate them and wish them well, but in the long run no one wins when we hold grudges and hope they fail. Most of the candidates I have been supporting in recent years haven't won but I have been around long enough to know that being bitter about it only prolongs the disappointment until the next time we are disappointed.

   So I always congratulate the winners, wish them well and remind the rest that I will be here for them the next time if they need me. After the shock wears off of being on the end of a short stick after all of the votes are counted whatever just happened is only temporary anyway; that is if we stick to our values and what we stand for instead of only feeling defeated.

   Politics is like sports; when the title is clinched the victors remind everyone that they are the best and they pop the corks of champagne bottles and douse one another with more accolades about how hard they worked to get there while the runner-ups begin planning for next season. The best of the latter group doesn't waste much time preparing and getting back in shape for another run. They simply pick themselves up, dust themselves off and go to work more determined than ever.

   Like I said, I have been disappointed over election results for the past few years because my horses haven't fared too well but I still want the same things out of life for me and for my family. My hopes for having the best people in the right places hasn't changed and I will continue to support the platforms and issues I believe are best. The winners this time around will have 3 years to show me what they are all about and then we will begin a new primary season. At that time they will have to raise more money for more ads and circulars and they will again be on the hot seat as they approach another election.

   For anyone who woke up disappointed today because they or their candidate didn't win this time please don't waste this day. Instead get busy with a new plan even if it means supporting all who did win until they disappointment you or until you figure out how to beat them the next time. Usually all that takes whether in politics or anything else is the willingness and determination to put the disappointments behind us and start anew with a clear head, because remember, everything in life is temporary.

   All that is really important now is where do we go from here and what is the best way to get there? I know, because I have been knocked down a few times also but I always get back up, and I think I have been able to do that because I don't burn bridges, instead I shore the ones up that broke behind me and then look for ones that are more sturdy when I need to get over something. In the case of political expectations it has meant switching party affiliations for me because as a lifelong Democrat my Democrats are headed into directions where I see a lot of weak and crumbling bridges caused by incindearies that keep exploding beneath them.

    It will take a lot of coming back and working together for the good of everyone by a lot of important people before I ever return to the fold. But until then Ill take the high road and stay focused my own way. Oh, and for what it's worth,..Trump in 2016!

No comments:

Post a Comment